Monday, October 12, 2015

Green Chile Burritos

Little Hands can cook too. Me and my Daughter cooking. She loves to help with the salt.
Tonight I made green chile burritos. Now, these aren't any ordinary chiles. These chiles come from Hatch, New Mexico. Most people know what Hatch Chile is because it has become pretty trendy in the food world. My family has been cooking with Hatch Chile long before it was popular, but that's because my dad grew up in New Mexico. While I was buying my fresh batch of roasted chiles, there were two guys buying several cases. I couldn't help but laugh to myself because these guys were probably as hipster as you can get, and I knew the thoughts that would be going through my dad's mind if he was standing where I was. We would have gotten in the car, and he would have smirked and said, "Did you see those fashion jeans those idiots were wearing?" Yes, my dad called any jeans that weren't wranglers "fashion jeans". So try not to let the fact that hipster now buy Hatch Chile keep you from enjoying some of the best chile our nation has to offer. My boot-wearing dad didn't let it faze him.

You will need Lard for cooking, ground beef, an onion, potatoes, garlic powder, salt and of course green chile. First heat about a table spoon of lard in your skillet
Then dice up the onions and throw them in the skillet. Cook them until they are translucent. Once cooked remove from skillet and set aside in a bowl.


While the onions are cooking you will want to wash and dice up your two potatoes and put them in a microwave safe bowl. Yes I said Microwave. You will cook your potatoes under the baked potato setting. It was about 7 minutes in my microwave. Trust me this will make it go much faster and guarantee you don't serve crunchy potatoes!
While your potatoes are cooking, start to cook your meat.

Once your potatoes are done and your meat has browned, add the remaining ingredients, including your onions and potatoes. Cook until the meat is cooked through. You will then turn your burner to low and cover your burrito meat and let the potatoes soak up all the flavor. Leave it covered for about five minutes.
And now we build the burrito. Put a spoonful of the meat in the center of your tortilla and top with a little cheese, but not too much; you want to taste the chile. Some people put sour cream on the burritos at this point. To my dad, this is worse than fashion jeans and should be considered culinary treason.

Roll up the burrito and enjoy!

Quick look
Makes about 20 burritos

2 lbs ground beef
1 Large Onion
2 Medium Potatoes
1/2 cup Hatch chile (Taste it as you add, so its not too hot)
2 1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tablespoon lard or oil
Flour tortillas (I like the raw ones)
Cheese

1. Heat lard in pan
2. Dice onions and cook until translucent. Once cooked transfer to a bowl and set aside for later.
3. Dice potatoes and cook in microwave. Follow the instruction on your microwave for two baked potatoes. It will make the cooking process much faster.
4. Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook while you wait for the potatoes.
5. Once potatoes are done, drain meet and add all ingredients to skillet, including the potatoes and onions.
6. Continue to cook until meat is cooked through.
7. Turn your heat to low, cover the burrito and let sit for five minutes to let you potatoes soak up the flavor.
8. Assemble your burritos and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment