Sunday, October 4, 2015

Birthday Dinner

My dad and my daughter Isabella on the day he entered the hospital

Saturday was my Dad's birthday. He would have been 55 this year. We spent the day reminiscing, which isn't too different from every day. We had a good ol' country breakfast at our local diner, watched Lonesome Dove and finished off the weekend with salmon patties. Salmon patties were the very first thing my Dad ever taught me to cook, and it only made sense to have them be the first recipe on the blog. They aren't gourmet and they aren't anything fancy but they make me feel like I am home. I wont lie, I absolutely hated Salmon patties growing up, but now they are one of my go-to recipes. They are quick, easy and require little clean up.


Its a simple recipe with few ingredients. You will need: two cans salmon, about half a sleeve saltine crackers, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 egg, and vegetable oil for frying.



 Throw your cracker in the food processor and grind them until they are crumbs. The finer the better so the patties will form well.


Drain salmon and combine all ingredients into a bowl and mix until well combined. 


Roll the patties into ball a little bigger than a golf ball. Once oil is hot place the patties into the oil and let them cook for about 3 to 5 minutes until they are golden brown.


Once cooked remove salmon patties from the oil and place them on a plate with a paper towel to soak up any excess oil. I often serve these with my homemade pinto beans, fried potatoes, and a dash of Tapatio hot sauce

Quick Look
Makes 10 patties
2 6 oz. cans skinless boneless salmon
1/2 sleeve saltine crackers
1 egg
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
oil for frying
(chopped pickles taste great in the salmon patties too!)

1. Pour oil into your dutch oven, about 2 inches deep, and heat to 300 degrees.
2. Throw your crackers into the food processor and pulse until they are crumbs. The finer the better.
3. Drain Salmon and then combine all the ingredients into your mixing bowl.
4. Mix your ingredients with hands until well combined.
5. Once oil is hot gently place the patties into you dutch oven, they should be covered by the oil. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown.
6. Remove from oil and place on a plate with a paper and let the oil drain off. 
7. Serve and Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment