Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Pressure Cooker Pinto Beans



Remember that time I started the blog and then stopped? Well, I found out I was pregnant last October and my cooking skills are shameful during those nine months. So I decided to take a break, but then my sweet little man was born and I was a little busy doing the mommy thing. So now 8 months after my sweet man was born I decided to give it another try.

Today I am giving you the recipe for our Pressure Cooker Pinto Beans. It is a great side dish that goes with many different main courses. I grew up eating these at least once a week and every time they were made you would hear my parents talk about whose version was better. There is only one difference between the two recipes. My mom's version uses hot sauce and my dad's doesn't. That is what the endless debate is about. Are the beans better with or without hot sauce? Whenever the family gets together we all cook and we are, for the most part, always asked to make the same thing. Megan is always in charge of the creamed corn because I mean, damn her creamed corn is good. Linsday is always in charge of pie and other baking because her crusts will make you cry, and I am always in charge of the beans. I like to think we have all been assigned what we are best at, which makes me the authority on beans. And I only make them with hot sauce, so that's the final word on that. So today I am going to give you my mom's version because, sorry dad, I think the other version is missing a little something.


You will need: Pinto Beans, Salt pork (whole not pre-sliced), sugar, hot sauce, and salt

 First you will need to put 3 cups of beans into a colander and wash them really well. You will also want to pick through them to make sure there aren't any beans that look bad. Watch out for rocks and dirt clots too. Those aren't fun to bite into. Set them aside until we are ready to add them to the pot.
 Next you will need to cut up your salt pork. First you will need to cut off the top layer of skin and throw it away. Once you have cut off the layer of skin you will want cube the pork into 1-inch pieces. If you can't find salt pork bacon will work but it won't give you the same tasty flavor. Don't be scared of the fatty salt pork it is amazing!
Now we add it all to the pot. First fill the pressure cooker with 12 cups of water. Now add the beans and salt pork. if there are any beans that float to the top scoop them out and throw them away. You will then add a tablespoon of sugar and about a tablespoon of hot sauce more or less depending on how spicy you like your food. Close the lid make sure your seal is secure and let it cook under pressure for 90 minutes. After the beans have cooked add salt to taste. You can also leave them to simmer on the stove to let the juice get a little thicker and you wouldn't regret it. Enjoy! 


Ingredients
12 cups water
3 cups dry pinto beans
1 package salt pork (sometimes I use two don't judge)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon or to taste Hot sauce (topatio is the best)
salt to taste

1. Thoroughly wash beans and inspect them to make sure you only use quality ingredients. Sometimes rocks make their way into your bag of beans.

2. cut the skin off the salt pork and discard, Then cut the remaining pork into 1-inch cubes.

3. Add 12 cups of water to pressure cooker.

4. Add all ingredients except the salt to the pot. Seal and cook under pressure for 90 minutes.

5. After the beans are done salt to taste.

Note: You can also leave the pot to simmer on the stove until you serve them and it will give you a thicker juice and add more flavor to the dish. I will often let mine simmer for a whole hour before serving them. If you choose to let them simmer add the salt just before you serve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment